Monday, March 29, 2010

The Season of Lent

It is finally here, the end of the Lenten Season, which is a significant Catholic holiday for people who practice the Catholic faith. In the Philippines, everything slows down to a halt particularly on Good Friday. Both government and private firms allow their workers to take a few days off to be able to observe the final and most holy days of Lent.

Why the end of the Lenten season? The Lenten season actually started on Ash Wednesday and it now ends with one full week of abstinence, fasting, repentance of sins, and constant prayers until Easter Sunday arrives.

Unfortunately, not everyone is steadfast on practicing the old ways of Catholic faith. Some choose to have fun and frolic in the beach instead of staying at home and meditating in intimate prayer. But who am I to judge them? I am only saying this out loud because it is the truth and the harsh reality of life.

I have had my fair share of gimmicks and traipsing around with family and friends but somehow it never occurred to me to have fun during the Holy Week of Lent except on Easter Sunday. Maybe because I grew up in a family that took the role as a devout Catholic seriously.

How does this affect my freelance work? I shall be working until Holy Wednesday (even government and private firms still require their workers to report to work until this day) then anything that is work-related comes to a halt until Easter Sunday has passed. This way I could fulfill both my "earthly" duties and my "religious" duties.

No comments:

Post a Comment