Friday, March 5, 2010

Kid Fights - Should We or Shouldn't We

Just this morning I allowed my 3-year-old son to go out and play with some of the kids from the neighborhood.  He's second to the youngest among the set and 1 of the 3 boys that comprise the entire set of kids from our block. Everybody was having a good time and I was happily dabbling in the kitchen with my mom when all of a sudden the air was filled with a loud cry from my son. Concerned as I was, I immediately went out to him only to be faced with his complaint of another boy who suddenly joined in their games and hit him without any reason.

I asked my mom to go out and talk with the kid's mom because I was too highly strung from my kid's tale that I might not be able to stop myself from babbling vehemently. My mom did go out and had a talk with the other kid's mom, reiterating all the while that her son was a lot older than my son. In the end, everything got sorted out. The "bully" was made to go home because of his actions and my son continued to play with the other kids for another hour or so before it was time for him to come home and have his lunch.

Ever since the incident happened I kept thinking about it and what I would have done had my mom not been there to intervene on my behalf. This is why I also kept thinking if it is proper for parents to intervene in kid fights or not.

At the end of the day I decided that had my son been much older to defend himself then maybe, just maybe, I would have allowed him to deal with the situation on his own. But I also remembered that he asked for my help. He came home crying, "Mommy, help me!" In this day and age where kids as young as my son tend to become independent, his asking for my help really tugged at my heart, which is why I made a decision that whatever happens I would always be there to help him out whenever he needs me.

No comments:

Post a Comment