Tuesday, July 12, 2011

New Acquaintances and Friendships - or so we thought

It has been some time since my last posting on this blog, not that I am too lazy to write, mind you, but because I have had my hands full with my son's school activities, my baking business, and of course, being a wife to my beloved husband.

A lot has happened and recent events have made me want to write my heart out on this blog. Too often we hear the saying, "Trying to find a good friend is like trying to find a needle in a haystack." Personally, I think finding a needle in a haystack is much easier than finding friends that you can keep.

The time came that we met a new set of friends. Between me and my husband (hubby from now on), hubby was the one who was able to spend more time with them. Before I go on with my blog, let me tell you that hubby and myself included are the sort of people who tend to care deeply for friends so much so that we treat them as family. Malice and jealousy walks right out the door while happiness and joy enters the room when we begin to care deeply about another person .

Back to my story. As I've said, hubby had the chance to spend more time with them, a couple of ladies (all married, mind you) who sought his advice about car maintenance and fix-ups. Being the gentleman that he is, hubby helped them and actually enjoyed their company since he only gets to come home twice a week. Everything was nice and happy, we were one big happy group that included sons and daughters, husbands and wives. Little did we know that all of this was about to change.

I received a disturbing text from hubby that the ladies suddenly decided to ignore him with no explanation whatsoever. Needless to say, hubby was deeply hurt since he was starting to care deeply for our new set of friends. He tried his best to understand what was going on but we were both clueless, that is until yesterday morning.

He had a group discussion with all the ladies present and was indeed surprised when they told him why he was being ostracized by the group --- one lady in particular thought that hubby was falling in love with her. As the discussion progressed, one lady slipped and gave the hint that the lady in question was actually falling in love with hubby. Surprised was too mild a word for how hubby felt when he was informed about this fact. Here he was hurting inside because he was being ostracized by people he thought were his friends, when all along they just took the lady's side of the story. A simple sentence of, "I am beginning to love you" was definitely misconstrued since hubby actually meant, "I am beginning to love all of you as a friend." She was falling in love with hubby while hubby had only friendship in mind.

For my part, I too was hurting because I know my hubby well and the truth was a far cry from what they believed. The sad part was the other ladies were condoning what they were seeing just so their group would not break up because they were having a lot of fun. Yeah right! What kind of friends are these that condone actions no matter if they would end up hurting other people?

We finally had a good, long, and thorough discussion, and decided that we would just go with the flow. We lived and was happy before they came into our lives, so why should we be bothered and sad just because they showed their true colors.

I guess the sadness in me is due to the fact that it really is hard to find a new true friend. Hit or miss is the best way to describe this. I hate the fact that my hubby made me promise to pretend that I knew nothing about the situation and that I should continue to join these ladies should they invite me. I made it clear to hubby that I was in no way interested in joining them, in fact, their initial attempts to include me in the group made me feel like a stranger. I have had previous experiences in joining a group of people and from experience, I get the feeling that I am really not that welcome. I hate the fact that I don't get to defend hubby because the gentleman in him allowed these ladies to continue with their false presumptions.

It pains me that the man I love is wronged and there is nothing I can do about it......or is there????

No comments:

Post a Comment